Saturday, February 8, 2014

5 For Friday

1. Big/Little reveal and our pinning ceremony were this week and I finally got to reveal to Abbey that I am her big! She is so lovely and I cannot wait to get to know her better.




2. This week an extremely moving article was posted on Recovering Grace called Charlotte's Story there have been many testimonies regarding misconduct by Bill Gothard and IBLP, that have come to light over the past few years, but this one was the hardest yet for me to read. I cried the whole way through. I'm glad Recovering Grace is approaching this stuff so carefully because you cannot tread lightly through this. Some of you know my major dislike and issues I have with Gothard/ATI/IBLP etc teachings. I plan to post a series on it one day. I hope her story gains some views and gets people talking. Some of the kids I did Children's Program with, (a vacation bible school/daycare type thing that went on during Gothard's Seminars), posted this on their facebooks and were so shocked and upset. It's really heartbreaking. As I was telling Deon about it he said: "Well, it's not bad to have a little blind faith…unless it's in something other than Jesus Christ. It can't be in one man or organization." And he is so right. It was hard to read, but I pray that her story along with so many others get the recognition they deserve and the help they need. 

3. Veggie Tales!
I grew up with Veggie Tales and one of my favorite stories is Madame Blueberry. The blueberry who went to Stuff Mart and bought all this stuff she didn't really need and was acting spoiled and selfish. In the story, as she's on her way and back from Stuff Mart, she notices two families who are clearly very poor with next to nothing and their kids sing a song thanking God for their families and the little they did have stating that a "Thankful heart is a happy heart." That statement really resonated with me and has stayed in mind all week. I get very easily jealous and discontent and I really felt God convicting me of my impatience and selfish complaining. It's amazing how your mindset changes as you start to focus on what you have to be happy about! It's not something that comes naturally at first, but it changes how you view God, your life, and the people around you! 

4. Valentine's Day. 

I am extra excited for Valentine's Day/weekend this year because the St. Olaf Choir will be coming to perform at Lee! They are one of the top collegiate choirs in the country and Deon and I, along with two of my friends (who I am currently matchmaking together) are double dating with us. I'm not sure what else Deon and I will be doing, but I know whatever it is it will be fun and special because we are together. This is our second Valentine's Day together and I love him even more than I did then.


5. Theory.
Some of you know that this is my third time taking Music Theory III. It has been a trial in my life and so frustrating that I seriously considered switching majors or just giving up all together. I had a poor teacher the first time around, and it's not a strong subject of mine anyways, and then this past semester I loved my teacher, but again failed the class. I was not allowed a direct study and had to drop my advanced conducting class (which I really need to be doing) in order to take theory with the only other teacher available that I haven't had yet. So far, his class is a lot clearer to me and one of the other theory professors who is my friend is tutoring me and I am very pleased to say I made a B on my first theory exam of the semester! I was making F's since sophomore year so this was a huge deal for me and I know I couldn't have done it without Mr. Elkins and the Lord. I'm so glad I'm off to a good start!



How's your week been?

1 comment:

  1. What an absolutely heartbreaking story about that poor woman Charlotte. It's horrifying to hear about the abuses within that organization. I had never heard of IBLP until I met Frank, even though by a funny coincidence, my family happens to live down the street from the IBLP headquarters in Oak Brook—but being Catholic we never had anything to do with it and we didn't even know what the organization was. The more I hear about it, the more I am glad we never knew what it was! It sounds like a very sad and terrible organization.

    On another note, I also loved Veggie Tales growing up! Madame Blueberry is a good one to keep in mind when we start feeling dissatisfied with life. But my favorite parts will always be silly songs with Larry. So many fantastic gems for belting out at random occasions! :)

    ReplyDelete